Workplace retaliation can happen in many ways. The legal team at Davtyan Law Firm wants to help you recognize these situations so you can protect your rights at work. In short, workplace retaliation happens when an employer takes some kind of negative action against an employee because the employee engaged in some kind of legally protected activity. Examples of these negative actions include being fired or demoted, having your hours or pay reduced, receiving unexplained negative reviews, or being the victim of verbal abuse or threats at your job.
These actions are illegal and can be reported to California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). If you believe you are being retaliated against at work, call Davtyan Law Firm to speak to an experienced California employment lawyer about your potential claim.
Legally Protected Activities in California
California has some of the most robust employment laws in the country and the list of legally protected activities is longer than many other states. “Legally protected activities” are activities or statuses that your employer may not use as a reason to take negative action against you. In California, these activities include:
- Filing or being a witness in an EEOC complaint or investigation
- Refusing to participate in a discriminatory action at work
- Refusing physical intimacy advances by a colleague or supervisor
- Discussing wage and salary details with co-workers
- Taking time off to serve on a jury
- Taking time off for court appearances
- Being the victim of domestic violence or physical intimacy assault
- Taking time off for certain activities at their child’s school
- Using earned sick leave in a proper manner
- Participating in a drug or alcohol rehabilitation program
- Refusing to work hours in excess of IWC orders
- Taking time off for organ or bone marrow donation
- Refusing to violate the Labor Code or health and safety protocols at work
- Exercising certain constitutional rights outside of work (protesting, etc.)
These are just some of the activities that are protected in California. If you believe that you have been fired, demoted, or had another negative action taken against you at work after one of these situations, you should call Davtyan Law Firm as soon as possible. Many of these situations have deadlines for filing a claim, so acting quickly is extremely important.
Davtyan Law Firm - Los Angeles Employment Law Firm
If you are experiencing a job-related legal problem, the legal team at Davtyan Law Firm may be able to help. Our firm specializes in employment law in the Los Angeles area as well as statewide throughout California. We handle a variety of employment law issues including workplace retaliation, discrimination and harassment, wage and hour claims, protected leaves, and more.
Ready to get started? Contact us today for a free consultation to find out how we can help you. We serve employees all across the state of California. Call us today!